Your Green Wedding
Your wedding day is meant to be one of the greatest days of your life, but it can also create a lot of waste. Here are six ways your big day can have a smaller impact on the environment.
1. Eco invites – Print on recycled paper or use alternative materials such as leather or upcycled fabrics. You can even dispense with physical invites altogether by sending them by email.
2. Go alfresco – Be at one with nature on your wedding day by marrying in the heart of nature under natural sunshine not electric light. It’s great for the soul as well as the environment.
3. Opt for sustainable meals – Vegetarian and vegan meals are an obvious choice, but think also about items such as compostable bamboo plates that minimise energy use on the washing up.
4. A charity gift registry – If you’re not into material gifts, ask your guests to donate to charities that are meaningful to you, particularly those focused on the environment or animal welfare.
5. Use venue-supplied decorations – Why spend time, energy and carbon buying or creating decorations, taking them to the venue and then disposing of them afterwards? Instead, choose a venue where nature is the primary adornment or reusable decorations can be hired.
6. Reduce food waste – Listen to your caterer when they say there’ll be enough food. Buying food “just in case” can result in needless waste.
There's always more to learn about creating a fabulous wedding day with the accent on love, fun, family and friends.
Search through all our posts to find additional tips and ideas.
We're constantly updating this section.
A Member of the Tui Hills Group
Weddings and Events
1012 Scenic Drive North